Sunday, July 13, 2008

Coffee recommendations - Monsooned Malabar Coffee

We are constantly asked in our store to recommend a coffee for a particular coffee maker or "something special" for a dinner party. It's a tricky thing to do as each individual has a taste that he or she prefers and trying to second guess that is a bit like looking in the proverbial crystal ball.

However on this occasion I'm going to stick my neck out. We've recently been carrying out a review of how we roast our coffees to optimise their individual characteristics; a coffee in our store has to earn its place!

I was particularly interested in our Indian Monsooned Malabar coffee as I felt that we weren't getting the "nuttiness" that I usually associate with this coffee. A coffee that is processed at origin in a unique way using the Monsooned winds to "desiccate" the beans which results in a green coffee that is bloated and bleached.

I looked at our target temperature and the timing of the first and second cracks and decided to do what for us is a light roast. The effect was to end up with a coffee that looked as if it had been not particularly well roasted. There was a lot of difference in the colour of the final roasted beans, the homogeneity that one gets with other washed arabicas simply didn't apply here. So what was the impact in the cup?

I shouldn't have worried, using a French press (Cafetiere) it brewed the most wonderful nutty coffee to savour. It reminded me of bed and breakfast establishments that I've stayed in in Paris where the the first thing the proprietor does is to deliver this wonderful heady brew of fresh coffee. On this occasion instead of croissants I enjoyed the coffee with toast and the most fabulous home made marmalade.

I couldn't let the experience pass without sharing it with someone! So next time you pass our store and want something a little special, try Monsooned Malabar you'll certainly have tongues wagging!

2 comments:

The Moving Finger said...

How much does it cost David?
Like the sound of it!

David Warr said...

Hi "moving finger", sorry for delay in reponse, Monsooned Malabar sells in our shop for £1.44 per 100g