Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Recycling, the impossibilities are endless!

For those of you who don't know, our shop is located in the centre of St. Helier, some 200 metres away from the Central Market cardboard recycling depot. Can we get our empty boxes recycled here? well maybe, but then again maybe not.

It is not a case of simply taking your cardboard waste to the facility and asking for it to be recycled, no, first you have to get permission, but from whom?

This part of the market is run by the "Transport and Technical" department and not the Central Market as I understand it.

Some months ago now I contacted my first point of call, namely the Constable of St. Helier. Although he's not part of "transport and technical", I thought he might know the name of a man who was. He assured me that he would talk to the Minister, namely Guy de Faye who heads up "Transport and Technical". Months have gone by and nothing has happened.

So I chased it up again, this time I was told to speak to Dave Leguyader. Fine, he told me that he just needed to have a word with the people who run the Market to check that everything was OK, he didn't envisage any problems. He would come back to me later to let me know what he had done. That was last week, I 'phoned again yesterday, only to find that Mr. Leguyader was on two weeks holiday, however I was then put through to someone else they thought might me able to help. So Philip Hague came into the loop, he too assured me that it was simply a case of talking to the relevant party in the Central Market and everything would be sorted.

You've guessed it, I now await a call from Mr. Hague, who when I called last was on ansaphone!

The famous catch line should become in Jersey - Recycling the impossibilities are endless!

Will there be a happy ending? Keep reading this blog!

No comments: