Thursday, October 19, 2006

Never under estimate your customer

I had a real reminder yesterday of how peoples attititude and perception of coffee quality has changed in recent years.

We had a call from a customer of ours saying that they had had a complaint about our coffee. "It was tasteless and bitter". Of course the alarm bells start to ring and I immediately went out to see them and check out what had gone wrong.

Thankfully, by the time I got on site, the problem had resolved itself. It would appear that for some reason the espresso machine hadn't been quite up to temperature and as a result the water when it hit the coffee wasn't extracting the flavour properly.

However what really interested me was who was doing the complaining. It was a group of retired individuals. They were out for their weekly morning bowl, after which they have a coffee and a chat.

The reason I was surprised was because this group of individuals are from what I would call a "Nescafe" generation. A generation who really didn't understand coffee quality and who had been brought up in a culture of tea.

But how wrong I was, not only were they identifying the fact that the coffee didn't taste right, they were also making their views known to the management.

So it shows you, everybody has an opinion on coffee, and today will vote with their feet if you're not up to scratch. That's fantastic for my industry, and given the amount of effort that we and our suppliers put in makes it all worthwhile.

Long live retired folk!

No comments: